How to Maintain Hygiene in Professional Kitchen
In Hotel industry serving hygienic food to the guest is very important as it is directly related to people health. Serving safe food to the customer will be a complete cycle which starts from crop and end at guest fork, in between food has to undergo with lots of process.
Remember maintaining hygiene at all level is very important, and it become very crucial when it come to professional kitchen, as there are many food borne illnesses which cause by bacteria like E-colai, Salmonella and many more which is life threatening , lot of people die due to food born diseases every year. As per CDC (Centers for disease control and prevention) 48 Million people get sick and 3000 people died due to food born diseases every year in United States. Globally 351000 people die due to food poisoning yearly.
These are few tips which help to maintain high level of hygiene in professional kitchen.
Food safety tips for Hands- Hands can spread germs and bacteria. They can easily get into food which you are preparing. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water and after that apply sanitizer. When-
- Before touching food.
- After using the Bathroom.
- Cough and sneezing.
- Touching raw meat, fish, and poultry.
- After every 30 minutes.
Food safety tips for handling raw meat- Raw meat carry bacteria (E-colai, Salmonella), when handling meat, fish or poultry eliminate contaminating other food by:
- Use separate knives and chopping board for every meat like Red chopping board for Red meat, Blue for sea food and Yellow for Poultry.
- If the knife or other kitchen utensil has touch raw meat, don’t use it on any other food item until it has been thoroughly washed.
- Always store meat in bottom selves in refrigerator and covered.
- If meat drips clean it immediately.
- Defrost (thawing) meat in refrigerator not on the counter or in sink.
- Always thoroughly cook meats-never under cook (above 75⁰C).
- Don’t refreeze meat after thawing unless it is cooked.
- Always check the expiry date.
Food safety tips for handling fruits and vegetables- fruits and vegetables are vital for health these tips to be safe and make the best of these.
- Fresh look fruits and vegetables are always good for health, always buy them fresh.
- Always buy what you need as they go bad quickly and to be consumed within few days.
- Don’t over stock fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Store them on the top selves of refrigerator.
- Throw away anything which smells bad, moldy, or cross the expiry date.
- Wash all fruits and vegetables in clean water o use chlorine tablet for rinsing at receiving.
- Wash them just before cutting as washing after cutting will lead to loss of minerals and vitamin.
- Leafy greens, such as lettuce, should be rinsed before refrigeration to maintain it’s crispy and crunchiness.
Food safety tips for handling cooked food- when handling cooked caution is advised.
- Always remember about danger zone (below 5⁰C for cold food and above 63⁰C for hot food).
- Don’t reheat food more than one time, and reheating of food to be done above 75 ⁰C
- Always replenish container of food don’t top-up.
- Don’t keep cooked food in danger zone.
Safety tips for employees- People who cook food and handle food hygiene is very important.
- Maintain high level of personal hygiene.
- Food handlers should wear clean and proper clothing. They should cover hair and wear hand gloves while handling food.
- Treat any cuts as it is infected, contact doctor immediately for any health issue (cough and sneezing).
- Organization should ensure annual checkup of all food handler.
- Food handler should wash hand in 30 minutes or after every task.
Following these rules will ensure that high level of maintain hygiene in professional kitchen and food served to guest will be healthy. And we can prevent diseases which can occur due to bacterial spread.